Siggy

Siggy

Monday, August 19, 2013

We Just Turned Five!

     It feels like yesterday when we attended our first HS 101. We were encouraged by the testimonies of the parents who have been homeschooling their kids for years. "How can they do it?" That was the question in my mind as I listened to them. With that, I prayed with all my heart that it will also work for us.

      Looking back, I remember a season when I felt so down. These were the times I tried to compare our family with other homeschool families. These families have everything. They can bring their kids everywhere and the world is literally their classroom. When I felt this way, I reminded myself of the reasons why we homeschool and focused on God's mission and vision for our family. I have learned to maximize the resources the Lord has given us and to invest on things money cannot buy - things that have eternal value.

      I was also obsessive-compulsive when it comes to schedule. I still outline our plans and topics for the whole year but I don't panic anymore when we are late. I have learned to deal with interruptions with joy, reminding myself that "all things work together for good for those who love Him". Interruptions must be divine appointments - they are usually, now, a time for me to pause, ponder and pray.

      For the first time, Alvin and I have also written our goals and would soon post them in our study area as as a reminder for all of us. We based it on Col. 1:25-29.

Of this home, we were made parents, according to the stewardship from God bestowed on us that we may...

1... lay the right foundation, disciple our kids and help them grow to full maturity in Christ
2... teach them about Jesus not only through daily reading of His Word and weekly Bible study but more so through our words and actions
3... to lay in their hearts the fear of the Lord
4... influence and encourage other families for the glory of Christ
5... just enjoy every moment with them keeping in view how fast life is.

For these, we labor, striving according to His power which mightily work within us.

      "How can they do it?" I can now answer that question --- It is all by God's grace. We are on our 5th year of homeschooling and I know this will be our most exciting year! By His grace, we will walk with Him one step at a time... each day will be an adventure, each moment a treasure to cherish.

      Thank you, Lord, for the privilege to homeschool our kids. Thank you for the chance to influence them for eternity. All glory and honor be to our God!

      Proverbs 22:6 (NASB) Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.


Kuper doodles'  Summer Afternoon Kit



Here are some  homeschool photos taken last school year.















No comments:

Post a Comment